WHY GO HIKING ON THE GARDEN ROUTE IN SOUTH AFRICA?
The Garden Route hiking trails vary from miles of snow white beach, dramatic coastal cliffs where waves pound against the burnt orange rock to ancient forest and vast areas of Fynbos which is our indigenous Cape floral heritage. Our rivers are brown, not murky, muddy brown, but tannin stained and yet crystal clear as they flow over white pebbles, you’ll have to come for a walk on the Garden Route or a paddle on our rivers to see what we mean!
While hiking in the Knysna and Tsitsikamma forests which are protected, you’ll find Giant Outeniqua Yellowwood Trees, splash through pristine amber streams and perhaps spot the playful Knysna Turaco’s in the forest canopy.
The Cape and Garden Route beaches are spectacular, from the famous Whale Trail Slack Packing experience to hours of beach walking in Plettenberg Bay and Goukamma, you’ll definitely get your full of sun, sea and sand.
The Outeniqua Mountains stretch from George to Knysna and join the Tsitsikamma Mountains near Plettenberg Bay.
Beaches, forest, Fynbos, mountains, walking in the Garden route is simply spectacular.
GARDEN ROUTE HIKING VACATIONS - OUR FAVOURITE OPTIONS
We have great guided trails n the Garden Route for all levels of fitness and time schedules, from guided beach walks to overnight trails.
There are many guided Garden Route day hikes to choose from. We recommend a cool Knysna Forest trail, a relaxed beach walk in Plettenberg Bay or Goukamma or come and explore the cliffs near Harkerville on a guided coastal trail. If mountains appeal to you why not venture into the Outeniqua or Tsitsikamma mountains. We are happy to combine your walks with great local accommodation for and excellent hiking holiday on the Garden Route.
The Harkerville Coastal trail has dramatic scenery. We guide the Harkerville Trail over 2 days after excellent hiking the nights are spent in trail huts where your guide prepares your meals.
Consider the Tsitsikamma Mountains or the Whale Trail if you’d like a longer trail. Hiking in the Tsitsikamma Mountains is wonderful, the peaks are beautiful and the trails wind through forest, fynbos, to waterfalls and along coast. The Whale Trail at De Hoop Nature reserve follows a stretch of pristine coastline. The Wlae Trail accommodation is in exceptional eco-friendly hikers cabins. Our guided Whale Trail experience includes excellent meals prepared by your guide.
If you’re keen to add some canoeing to your adventures on the Garden Route, consider spending a day canoeing near Plettenberg Bay or Knysna.
WHEN TO GO HIKING ON THE GARDEN ROUTE...
Garden Route weather is temperate, slightly higher rainfall in autumn & spring, mild temperatures with many micro climates created by the coastal weather in the South and the Mountain weather in the North.
SPRING- September to Mid November; cool day temperatures (low 20’s) with crystal clear days interspersed with heavy rain falls, be prepared for 4 seasons in a day but take it as it comes because the garden route is flowering!
SUMMER- End of November to March – possibly even April, The highest day temperatures are in January & February, often in the 30’s (Celcius) warm clear nights. Driest season in the Western Cape. Excellent beach weather!
AUTUMN – April and May; fairly stable crisp weather with some rains, normally beautiful hiking weather, not too hot with day temperatures in the 20’s and a little cool in the mornings, clear night skies and the heather is flowering.
WINTER -May to end of August; Short clear days with possible snow, frosts and sub zero temperatures at night. Day temperatures may stay close to zero degrees Celsius. Nights are generally clear. August may be windy.
ON TRAIL IN THE GARDEN ROUTE SOUTH AFRICA....
- Hiking in the Garden route is normally on trails or on the beaches, they are maintained by the National Parks or reserve authorities
- When hiking on a trail with Overnight huts, your meals will be provided and prepared by your guide.
- Garden Route Slackpacking is a popular option. This is where you hike between accommodation venues and your luggage is transferred for you. Many of our trails have this option
- Accommodation along the Garden route ranges from camping to luxury hotels.
- Fires are strictly forbidden anywhere other than designate bbq areas. Littering is not acceptable.
- Swimming in the ocean is only recommended at designated beaches, strong rip currents are common along the coast.
- The water from mountain streams is drinkable, but water is normally available at trail huts. The water in the Garden route Rivers is Amber coloured. This is normal and not pollution.
WE ARE HAPPY TO PROVIDE THE FOLLOWING SERVICES FOR YOU...
- Arrange accommodation for you anywhere in South Africa before or after your Garden Route hike
- Transfers to or from the Garden Route
- Arrange internal flights, Port Elizabeth and George are the main Airports in the area.
- Rental of high quality mountaineering gear
- Cater for specific dietary requirements
- Create a tailor-made Itinerary for your South African hiking holiday.